Abortion ServicesAbortion Services are offered out-of-province at the QEII in Halifax or the Moncton Hospital in Moncton.
How do I access Abortion Services?
There are two options for accessing abortion services:
QEII – Halifax, NS
- You must be no more than 16 weeks pregnant. If you are considering this option, you should seek a physician referral, as early as possible.
- A referral must be obtained through a PEI physician. The Termination of Pregnancy Unit at the QEII can also help with a referral. They can be reached by calling (902) 473-7072.
- Once your referral has been submitted, it will be approved within 48 hours by the Out-of-Province Coordinator.
The Moncton Hospital – Moncton, NB
- You must be less than 14 weeks pregnant. If you are considering this option, you should contact the Moncton Hospital, as early as possible.
- Island women can call the Moncton Hospital at 1-844-806-9205 to set up an appointment. No referral is necessary.
- You will be asked to present your valid PEI Health Card to obtain this service.
Will I have to pay for the abortion service?
The Province of Prince Edward Island, through PEI Medicare, will pay for approved physician or hospital costs at either hospital. You will have to pay for travel, accommodations and other expenses. You may be eligible to travel on Maritime Bus through the out-of-province travel support program to and from your medical service. For more information, call (902) 368-5918 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Abortion procedures performed at private clinics are not covered by the province.
What other support is offered?
Island women are encouraged to speak with their health care provider to ask any questions and to discuss counseling services that may be available both pre- and post-procedure. Women requiring post-surgery medical attention can contact the Moncton Hospital at 1-844-806-9205 for advice, or visit their health care provider, a walk-in clinic or emergency department.
What other resources are available?
The following are community-based non-profit organizations:
Who can I contact for more information?
16 Garfield Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-6516