Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


Addiction Services

Addiction Services provide a range of programs designed to help you through the various stages of recovery. Addiction Services is closely aligned with Mental Health Services to ensure that individuals living with an addiction and a mental health disorder receive coordinated care. If you or someone you know has an addiction problem, our trained health care professionals can help. 

How do I get help for my addiction to alcohol, drugs, or prescription medication?

Call 1-888-299-8399 (toll-free) or speak with your health-care provider.

How do I get help for my gambling addiction?
Call the Problem Gambling Helpline 1-855-255-4255 (toll-free) if you think you have a gambling addiction, or if you are affected by someone else’s gambling. Learn more about Gambling Addiction Services.

How do I get help to quit smoking?
Call the Smokers’ Helpline 1-877-513-5333 (toll-free). If you enroll in the Smoking Cessation Program, you will improve your chance of quitting. 

What if I’m addicted to opioid drugs such as heroin, codeine, morphine, hydromorphone or oxycodone?
If you are opioid dependent, you can call 1-888-299-8399 to make an appointment to be screened by clinical staff for admission to the Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program. Clinics are available in both Charlottetown and Summerside. The program involves the long term prescribing of methadone which will help stabilize your life and reduce the harm related to your drug use.

If someone I love has an addiction, how can I help them?
If you want help because someone you love may have an addiction, call the addiction services office in your area. 

What support is offered for adults?
Depending on your addiction, support is available at each stage of your recovery:

  • Withdrawal:  When you are ready to stop using drugs, you may be admitted to the Provincial Addictions Treatment Facility so that your withdrawal can be safely monitored by health care professionals. Depending on your case, you may be admitted the day you call or within a few days. If you are not at risk for a harmful withdrawal, you may be able to stay in your home and receive out-patient treatment. Learn more about Withdrawal Management (Detox).

  • Rehabilitation:  When you have passed the withdrawal stage of your recovery, you are ready for a rehabilitation program. Education and counseling sessions will help you face daily challenges and support you as you continue with your recovery. At this stage, you will work directly with a counselor to develop a recovery plan tailored to your specific needs.

  • Living Recovery:  Once you are living with your recovery, you are invited to join weekly one-hour group sessions to discuss topics that will help with your recovery success. Discussions include: understanding anger and resentment, avoiding the pressure to return to your addictive habit, and coping with daily stress.

  • Individual Counseling:  A trained counselor will work with you one-on-one for as long, and as often, as you need.

What support is offered for youth?
There are a number of programs available to you and your family if you are impacted by addiction. You can call the addiction service office in your area, or visit for more information.

  • CAST Program:  The Coping and Support Training (CAST) Program is offered in junior and senior high schools through Youth Addiction Counselors. CAST helps with substance abuse (drinking and using drugs), mental well-being, and school performance. Learn more about CAST.

  • Strength Program:  Co-located within the Youth Recovery Centre in Summerside, this program is for those who require more intensive treatment. Youth will be assessed by Addiction Counselors or Community Mental Health Therapists to determine motivation and readiness for this level of treatment. Housing is available to clients in the Strength Program based on need.  A follow-up program (Connex) is also available. Learn more about the Strength Program.

  • Individual Counseling:  A trained counselor will work with you one-on-one for as long, and as often, as you need.

What support is offered for families?
Family addiction service programs are designed to meet the needs of those who have a loved one struggling with an addiction. The program has trained individuals who understand the impact of addiction, and the hurt and anger that family and friends might be feeling. Through participation in one-on-one counseling and group education sessions, participants will come to better understand addiction and begin to recover from the impact it has on them. 

When admitted to the inpatient withdrawal management unit, patients are given the option to give consent for a family counselor to contact their family to offer counseling and support.

Programs include:

  • Community Reinforcement Approach Family Training (CRAFT):  Offered in both group and individual sessions across the province, CRAFT is an evidence-based program for teaching families to support getting‎ their loved ones into treatment. 

    - CRAFT Group - Starting Thursday, March 9, 2017
       126 Douses Road, Montagu

  • Family Education Program:  An eight (8) week program for adults who have a family member or friend with an addiction.

  • Seniors Support Group – “Friends Supporting Friends”:  Offers group support and education to seniors who are being impacted by a family members’ addiction, and is offered bi-weekly.

  • Family Aftercare Group:  Is available to those who have completed the Family Education Program and is offered bi-weekly.

What if I don’t feel ready to go home after treatment?
When you are well enough to leave the treatment centre, you may need to stay in a residence that offers support in a chemical-free environment until you feel stronger and healthier. 

Programs are available at:

  • Talbot House:  A residence for men that provides a safe, structured environment and support while working towards maintaining a chemical-free lifestyle.

  • Deacon House:  Provides overnight shelter for adult males, over the age of 19 who abuse substances or have a chemical dependency.

  • Lacey House:  Provides a 24 hour supervised, therapeutic, safe, structured home-like environment to assist women in maintaining a chemical-free lifestyle.

  • St. Eleanor’s House:  Provides a home-like environment for men in need of extended support after initial addiction treatment.

What other resources are available?

How can I contact Addiction Services?
Provincial Addictions Treatment Facility
2814 Rte 215
Mount Herbert
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8
Telephone:  (902) 368-4120
Toll-free:  1-888-299-8399
Fax:  (902) 368-6229
347 Church Street (Adult, Family & Youth Counseling)
Allan Shaw Building
Alberton, PE   C0B 1B0
Telephone:  (902) 853-8670
Fax:  (902) 853-0420
St. Martha’s House (Ambulatory Withdrawal Management)
Western Hospital
148 Poplar Street
Alberton, PE   C0B 1B0
Telephone:  (902) 853-0401
Prince County Hospital
65 Roy Boates Avenue
Summerside, PE   C1N 2A9
Telephone:  (902) 888-8380
Fax:  (902) 432-2585
126 Douses Road
Montague, PE   C0A 1R0
Telephone:  (902) 838-0960
Fax:  (902) 838-0961
Souris Hospital
17 Knights Avenue
Souris, PE   C0A 2B0
Telephone:  (902) 687-7110
Fax:  (902) 687-7119

image banner of links Emergency Numbers Walk-in Clinics Compliments and Complaints Find a Family Doctor Health Card Pharmacare Wait Times
back to top