Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


Adult Protection Program

You can make a referral to Adult Protection through Home Care if you believe a vulnerable adult is being abused or neglected.

Vulnerability can include a head injury, physical or cognitive impairment, or a dementia (Alzheimer’s Korsokoff’s, vascular dementia, etc.)

Types of abuse can include sexual, physical, emotional, verbal, financial, caregiver neglect, and self neglect.

What should I do if I suspect a vulnerable adult is being neglected or abused?
Report your concern to Adult Protection in any Home Care office across PEI.

What can Adult Protection do?
Adult Protection is authorized to respond to reports of possible abuse, neglect or self-neglect. The Adult Protection Act [PDF | 121 KB] protects and assists vulnerable adults who:

  • may be in immediate and significant danger, and do not understand or are unaware of the danger they are in;
  • do not have the physical ability to get out of a dangerous situation; or
  • are unable to protect themselves because of physical or cognitive limitations.
Adult Protection may notify the public trustee if there is considerable risk of immediate, serious harm to an individual’s estate. The public trustee is appointed if a person is no longer able to look after their financial affairs and has no trusted family or friends to assist.

How can I contact Adult Protection?
Community Hospital
14 MacKinnon Drive
O’Leary, PE   C0B 1V0
Telephone: (902) 859-8730
Wedgewood Manor
310 Brophy Avenue
Summerside, PE   C1N 5N4
Telephone: (902) 888-8440
Hillsborough Hospital Annex
115 Deacon Grove Lane
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N5
Telephone: (902) 368-4790
6 Harmony Lane
Montague, PE   C0A 1R0
Telephone: (902) 838-0786
Souris Hospital
17 Knights Avenue
Souris, PE   C0A 2B0
Telephone: (902) 687-7096

image banner of links Emergency Numbers Walk-in Clinics Compliments and Complaints Find a Family Doctor Health Card Pharmacare Wait Times
back to top