Cancer Care on PEICancer is one of the most commonly diagnosed chronic diseases and is the leading cause of death in Prince Edward Island and Canada. Health PEI is committed to reducing cancer and its impact on all Islanders by advancing best-practice care across the cancer control continuum.
PEI Cancer Strategy 2016-2019:
The new PEI Cancer Strategy [PDF | 1.68 MB] (en français) is a collaborative effort by our dedicated health care providers and community partners working across the continuum with input from cancer patients, survivors and their families.
The new three year strategy recognizes the four leading types of cancer on Prince Edward Island – lung, breast, colorectal and prostate – and provides recommendations in several priority areas: prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis, treatment, patient support and follow-up, palliative and end-of-life care, coordination of cancer control, cancer research and surveillance.
What is the cancer control continuum?
The cancer control continuum describes the various points of a person’s journey from cancer prevention to early detection, diagnosis, treatment and end-of life care. Care may involve many parts of the health system, including supportive care to improve quality of life during their cancer journey.
This section contains information about services and supports available to you and your family:
- Cancer Prevention and Healthy Living
- Cancer Screening and Early Detection
- Diagnosing Cancer
- Treatment of Cancer (Adults)
- Palliative Care and Cancer
- Support and Information for Patients and Families
- Research and Surveillance
Health PEI is committed to making a difference in cancer prevention and care in Prince Edward Island by:
- improving the coordination of care across the cancer continuum;
- establishing an accountable governance and monitoring framework; and
- increasing capacity to participate in research and monitoring of cancer trends.
Watch the World Cancer Day 2016 video:
Where can I find additional information?
- Partners Making Progress: A Report on PEI's Cancer Control Strategy 2004-2008 [PDF | 5.95 MB]
- Partners Taking Action: A Cancer Control Strategy for PEI 2004-2015 [PDF | 1.4MB]
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Canadian Partnership Against Cancer