Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


Dental Public Health Services

Dental Public Health provides preventative and treatment services to children 3-17 years of age. Dental treatment services are limited to children who are not covered by private dental insurance. Some dental care is also offered to long-term care residents.

What dental services are offered to children?
  • Preventative dental services (screening, fluoride, cleaning, and sealants) are covered for children in dental public health clinics once a year in many Island schools, and dental public health clinics in Charlottetown and Summerside. Parent or guardian consent is required.
  • Basic dental diagnosis and treatment (annual checkup, x-ray, fillings, extraction, root canals, and dentures limited to anterior teeth) are offered in private dental offices and dental public health clinics. Treatment is limited to children who are not covered under a private dental insurance plan.
  • Orthodontic treatment (preventative and interceptive) is provided by general dental practitioners at Sherwood Dental Clinic. Treatment is covered, but laboratory fees for appliances will be charged to parents or guardians.
  • Pediatric dental specialist and in-hospital dental treatments are covered for children who qualify.
  • Cleft palate orthodontic treatment funding is available to children who are born with a cleft palate. Depending on family income and number of children in the family, funding will cover 50, 75, or 100 per cent of the cost of orthodontic treatment provided by an orthodontist in PEI. Call (902) 368-4920 or complete and submit an Application for Orthodontic Treatment Funding for Cleft Palate [PDF | 99 KB].

What dental services are offered to adults?
Long-term care dental treatment is provided to residents in long-term care facilities. They are screened annually for signs of oral disease, and a dental hygienist will provide preventative treatment such as cleaning and scaling. If necessary, a resident will be referred to a private practice dentist.

How can my child receive preventative services?
There is no registration to receive preventative dental services. To find out when the preventative team will be in your child’s school or to book an appointment, call (902) 368-4918 (Charlottetown) or (902) 888-8145 (Summerside).

How do I apply for dental treatment for my child?
  1. Register your child with your family dentist or a dentist at a Dental Public Health Clinic.
  2. Complete and sign a Declaration form [PDF | 114 KB] to declare that your child is not covered under a private dental insurance plan.
  3. Pay $15 per child to a maximum of $35 per family to register.
  4. Pay 20 per cent “parental contribution” of treatment costs. If your family income is less than $30,000, you may be exempt from this contribution.
  5. To apply for exemption from the “parental contribution,” complete and submit an Application for Exemption form [PDF | 129 KB] or call 1 (866) 368-5460 or (902) 368-5460.

What other information is available?

How do I contact Dental Public Health?
Dental Public Health Program
Four Neighbourhoods Health Centre, 2nd floor
152 St Peter’s Road
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8
Telephone:  (902) 368-4920
Toll Free: 1 866 368 5460
Fax:  (902) 368-4922
Charlottetown Dental Public Health Clinic
Sherwood Business Center
161 St. Peter’s Road
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8
Telephone:  (902) 368-4918
Fax:  (902) 368-4915
Summerside Dental Public Health Clinic
Summerside Health Centre
205 Linden Avenue
Summerside, PE   C1N 2K4
Telephone:  (902) 888-8145
Fax:  (902) 888-8153

image banner of links Emergency Numbers Walk-in Clinics Compliments and Complaints Find a Family Doctor Health Card Pharmacare Wait Times
back to top