Generic Drug ProgramThe Prince Edward Island Generic Drug Program is for Islanders under the age of 65 who do not have insurance. The program is designed to limit out-of-pocket costs for eligible generic prescription drugs to a maximum cost of $19.95.
Am I eligible for the Generic Drug Program?
You are eligible for the program if you:
- have no private drug insurance coverage;
- hold a valid PEI Health Card; and
- have completed an application and have been approved for coverage.
How can I apply for the program?
You can apply for the Generic Drug Program by completing an application online or in person at Access PEI locations, pharmacies, physician offices or pharmacare offices.
What drugs are covered under the program?
The program covers eligible prescription drugs that are listed on the provincial formulary with the following exclusions:
- diabetes drugs (coverage already exists through a different public program); and
- narcotics, controlled and targeted substances (due to health and public policy).
How can I contact PEI Pharmacare?
16 Fitzroy Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4947
Toll free: 1-877-577-3737