Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


Home Care Program

The Home Care Program supports you and your caregivers so that you can remain in your home safely, with independence and quality of life, for as long as possible.

What can Home Care do for me?
Home Care can provide services in your home, if you:

  • need support to continue living safely at home,
  • have been released from hospital and are recovering from surgery or an acute medical condition, or
  • have an ongoing health issue requiring more care than you or your family can provide.

What services are offered through Home Care?
Home Care provides a range of health care and support services if you have acute, chronic, palliative or rehabilitative health care needs, including:

  • Nursing care – nursing procedures including health monitoring, IV therapy,  injections, wound care and patient teaching.


  • Home Support – assistance with daily activities such as bathing and dressing.


  • Palliative care – comfort and support to live fully until the end of life.


  • Social work – individual and family counseling for illness, loss or end-of-life issues.


  • Dietitian Services – nutrition assessment and education.


  • Physiotherapy – to maximize independence, function and mobility.


  • Occupational therapy - support for daily living, special devices, equipment or modification to home or workplace.


  • Home Dialysis – supports peritoneal dialysis in your own home.


  • Adult protection – for vulnerable adults who need protection from neglect or abuse.


  • Long-term care – assessment for nursing home admission.


  • Adult Day Programs – enriching social activities for seniors.

How do I access the Home Care Program?
Services are provided based on assessed need for a defined period of time. A Home Care Referral form  [PDF | 49 KB] will need to be completed and submitted to your local Home Care Office. A referral can be made by yourself, your family, care provider, or family doctor.

What if I can no longer live in my home?
If you require a high level of nursing care, Home Care will assess your needs and eligibility for long-term care. Long-term care is provided by several public and private nursing facilities across the province.

Where can I get more information on Home Care in my area?
Learn more about the Home Care services offered in Souris and Montague [PDF | 308 KB], Queens County [PDF | 125 KB], and Prince County [PDF | 306 KB].

How can I contact Home Care?
Community Hospital
14 MacKinnon Drive
O'Leary, PE   C0B 1V0
Telephone: (902) 859-8730
Wedgewood Manor
310 Brophy Avenue
Summerside, PE   C1N 5N4
Telephone: (902) 888-8440
165 John Yeo Drive
Charlottetown, PE   C1E 3J3
Telephone: (902) 368-4790
6 Harmony Lane
Montague, PE   C0A 1R0
Telephone: (902) 838-0786
Souris Hospital
17 Knights Avenue
Souris, PE   C0A 2B0
Telephone: (902) 687-7096

image banner of links Emergency Numbers Walk-in Clinics Compliments and Complaints Find a Family Doctor Health Card Pharmacare Wait Times
back to top