Skip to Main Content
Bookmark and Share print small medium large 


Emergency Department VS Walk-in Clinic (QEH)

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital has provided the following guidelines for determining whether one should go to the Emergency Room or to seek out an after hours clinic if one is not feeling well:

What is an emergency...

Is your problem minor?
In most cases, your family doctor is the most appropriate person to see if you are not feeling well. After hours service for medical problems that cannot wait until the next day, but are not life threatening, are provided by after hours clinics. Use the after hour clinics for non-urgent care if your doctor is on holidays, or if you do not have a family doctor.

Is your problem serious?
Go to the nearest Emergency Department when: 
  • you have discomfort or tightness in the chest
  • you have more than usual shortness of breath
  • you have abdominal pain
  • you have prolonged and persistent headache
  • you have an injury that may require stitches or may involve a broken bone
  • your child has prolonged diarrhea or vomiting
  • a baby under six months has a fever of 38°C or 100.4°F, or higher
  • you are experiencing a major crisis and as a result, feel helpless, hopeless and have nowhere to turn


If you are not certain

image banner of links Emergency Numbers Walk-in Clinics Compliments and Complaints Find a Family Doctor Health Card Pharmacare Wait Times
back to top