Skip to Main Content
print small medium large 


Transplant Surgery Travel and Accommodation Assistance

If your specialist refers you for transplant surgery that is not available in the Maritimes, you may be eligible for travel and accommodation assistance. You must have a valid PEI Health Card and prior approval for out-of-province medical services from Health PEI.

Do I qualify for assistance?
You may be eligible for travel and accommodation assistance if you are scheduled for one of the following transplants outside of the Maritimes provinces:

      • Heart
      • Heart-lung
      • Single or double lung
      • Liver, or
      • Pancreas (non-βcell)

  • You must arrange to live within eight hours of the hospital where your transplant surgery will take place and be available when a suitable organ is found.
  • Your transplant surgery must be deemed non-experimental by the PEI Medicare Medical Consultant(s).
  • Support you receive from other government departments will be considered in determining eligibility.

How much assistance is available?
Travel assistance is for reimbursement only and requires documentation:

  • You may claim up to $1,500 Canadian every six months for one round-trip by car or economy plane, bus or train ticket. You must submit the original receipt and all boarding passes within six months of surgery.

Accommodation assistance:

  • You may be eligible for $1,000 Canadian per month to assist with accommodation costs. Receipts are not required.
  • Costs associated with utilities and other living expenses are not eligible for assistance.

How do I apply for travel and accommodation assistance?
Submit a completed Out-of-Province Travel and Accommodation Expense Claim form [PDF | 27 KB] with all required documentation within six months of your surgery.

If I need to travel out-of-province more than once, do I need to complete the application form and submit receipts each time?
Yes, for auditing purposes Health PEI requires a separate application and original documentation for each trip.

Who can I contact about transplant travel and accommodation assistance?
16 Garfield Street Out-of-Province Coordinator
Health PEI
16 Garfield Street
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-6516
Fax:  (902) 569-0581

image banner of links Emergency Numbers Walk-in Clinics Compliments and Complaints Find a Family Doctor Health Card Pharmacare Wait Times
back to top