Mental Health ServicesMental health care is offered in hospitals and in community health facilities across the province. Bilingual services are available in some locations.
Where can I call to get help?
Call The Island Helpline at 1-800-218-2885 if you need emotional support, crisis intervention or help with problem solving. Trained and caring staff are available to answer your call anytime of the day or night, 7days a week, 365 days a year.
The Island Helpline is a free, 24-hour, bilingual, confidential, non-judgmental and supportive telephone service.
View The PEI Helping Tree, a one-page flow chart of helpful resources [PDF | 304KB].
What is available for me at Community Mental Health Services?
The first step in service is screening. When you talk with an intake worker you will determine which programs and services are best suited to your treatment needs. Once your needs are screened, you may be linked to one of the following mental health services:
- A group treatment education program for some mental health conditions, such as severe stress, anxiety, or depression.
- A community mental health specialist (nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist) who can work with you to assess your condition. Together you will identify the treatment plan, program, and services that will work best for you to meet your needs and reach your goal.
- Services outside of Community Mental Health that would better meet your needs.
Some Community Mental Health Services are more specialized and have criteria in order to access these services. These include our Seniors Mental Health Resource Team (Queens County only), our Outreach Teams in each county, and several of our group treatment programs.
What if I need to go to hospital?
- Experienced crisis intervention professionals respond promptly to mental health (psychiatric) emergencies at both the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) and Prince County Hospital (PCH) emergency departments.
- If you need to be hospitalized there are inpatient mental health units at both the QEH and PCH.
- Specialized acute, longer-term treatment and rehabilitation are offered at Hillsborough Hospital.
How do I access Community Mental Health Services for my child (under age 18)?
- Your doctor or other service provider can submit a Child and Youth Referral Form [PDF | 192 KB] or call Children's Centralized Intake at 1-866-833-5443.
- If you are a parent, and would like to talk to someone about referring your child, call Children's Centralized Intake at 1-866-833-5443.
- Children’s mental health services are typically offered in communities where there is a Community Mental Health Clinic. Services may be offered in individual, family, or group settings.
How do I access Community Mental Health Services if I am an adult (over age 18)?
- You can contact Community Mental Health in your area.
- Your doctor or other service provider can refer you to mental health services by submitting an Adult Services Referral form [PDF | 122 KB].
Are there Mental Health Services specifically for seniors?
You can access adult mental health services or contact McGill Centre Community Mental Health at (902) 368-4911 for information about the Seniors Mental Health Resource Team (SMHRT). Currently these services are only available for residents of Queens County.
What if I need help with an addiction?
Health professionals from Mental Health Services and Addiction Services work closely together so that you will receive the most appropriate care for your needs.
What other resources are available?
- Canadian Mental Health Association - PEI Division
- Health Canada - Mental Health
- Mental Health Commission of Canada
How do I contact Community Mental Health?
17 Knights Avenue
Souris, PE C0A 2B0
Telephone: (902) 687-7110
Fax: (902) 687-7119
126 Douses Road
PO Box 3000
Montague, PE C0A 1R0
Telephone: (902) 838-0960
Fax: (902) 838-0961
McGill Community Mental Health
55 McGill Avenue
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4911
Fax: (902) 368-6189
1 Rochford Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4430
Children's Centralized Intake
Telephone (toll-free): 1-866-833-5443
Fax: (902) 368-4427
Prince County Hospital
65 Roy Boates Avenue
Summerside, PE C1N 2A9
Telephone: (902) 888-8180
Fax: (902) 888-8173
334 Church Street
Allan Shaw Building
Alberton, PE C0B 1B0
Telephone: (902) 853-8670
Fax: (902) 853-0420
O'Leary Health Centre
14 MacKinnon Drive
O'Leary, PE C0B 1V0
Telephone: (902) 859-8781
Fax: (902) 859-8784